Students' Blogging
Article by:
Leslie, P. & Murphy, E.(2008)
Interested?
Interesting findings in this article revealed two essential purposes for blogging: one is a socially function, and the other is for the insight of knowledge. The social framework consist of advice, assisting, modeling, and increase chances for social, peer, and team interaction, communication, presence, networking learning experience, and getting to know each other. The knowledge framework consist of also advice, contribution and to provide chances for teamwork, cooperation and community-centered sharing, structuring, stating knowledge, ideas (positive or negative comments), opinions (collective understanding), different viewpoints, analysis, outlook, and common goals respectively. Blogging personal information has value in creating personal reflection of oneself (benchmark), as well as the chance to revise "the analysis of an experience". Below is an inclusive summary of some of the purposes for blogging in a bullet point listing.
- motivates (ownership) to make a greater effort from advice (encouragement),as well as for educational experience (completing difficult task)
- social software blogging interaction sustains individuals (emotional response) and/or in group activities
- gives a sense of online and empowerment presence
- personal outcome (outlet) learning to include social activity (interactive)
- individual knowledge contributions are made to a group, as well as benefits from others' insights
- ones thoughts and attributes are made to others with a chance to be heard (self-disclosure, a fundamental social need)
In concluding, participation engages for the purpose to interact with others and to express a social presence, as well as for self-disclosure. Emotions are shared to provide an outlet for learning and motivation in completing difficult tasks. Above all, blogs are considered for the needs of the participants rather than an instructor and/or institution. Wonderful..............
By: Just, Rita
Hi Rita,
ReplyDeleteI can see the value you stated in blogging for knowledge sharing. Many blogging sites are providing for the sole purpose of imparting information to others. Within the course of my job, research is a big part of what I now do. Blogs have provided me a great deal of information.
Blogs provides people with no real IT skills the ability to share information over the Internet reaching millions of potential followers. There are no technical setup requirements which for many is a great thing. You are also right about blogs as a great collaborative tool. Until I took this class I really hadn’t given it much thought. But since being introduced to blogs and wikis, I have recommended its use to several of the workgroups that my department facilitates. We are now in the process of determining which blog and wiki service to use.
From a social perspective, I have reservations about this. I am absolutely amazed about the amount of personal information people freely share on such social networking sites. With the increasing amount of identity theft, stalking, and other socially related crimes, I would prefer not to put my personal self out on a free social website. I know that sounds paranoid but I just feel completely uncomfortable about the social aspects of this type of technology. From the professional perspective however I agree this the article that the technology is extremely beneficial.
Cheryl